« Home | Breckenridge BBQ & Brew Pub » | Pizza Port Wipeout IPA » | Alpine Beer Company » | Rogue Imperial India Pale Ale » | The Silver Fucking Bullet » | Perdition » | Stone 10th Anniversary India Pale Ale » | Bluegrass Brewing Co. American Pale Ale » | The 45th State, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latt... » | Three Floyds Gumballhead » 

Thursday, September 14, 2006 

HITE!!!!


58 / 100

Prounounced "height" despite one of my jabroni friends insisting it was "hee-tay".

This beer works very well when eating Korean bbq. The watery light lager cuts through the spicy gochujang that I slather all over the meat (galbi / bulgogi). My Korean girlfriend has shown me the ins and outs of proper Ktown bbq'ing and it has made me very happy.

Initially, I thought "Wow, Hite is fucking great!" It's not. It's one of those time and places beers that holds up quite poorly outside of it. One day when I loaded up on Hite at a local Ktown market - I learned the hard way.

First off, it's one of the lighest color beers I've ever seen. If you soaked a few grains of straw in a glass of tonic water for an hour, the color would be unmistakeably Hite-ish. The smells would probably be similar too. The taste isn't terrible - it's watery, there's lil character but it is refreshing. At a Korean bbq you'll probably drink like 4 before you realize that it's not very good. But for those 4, at that bbq joint - Hite does the trick.