« Home | 3rd Stop, Beverly Hills » | Moylan's Moylander Double IPA » | Ommegang Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) » | Victory Hop Devil IPA » | Alesmith IPA » | Samuel Adams Black Lager » | The Governator Ale » | Ballast Point Big Eye IPA » | Butte Creek Organic India Pale Ale » | Hoptown IPA » 

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 

Avery The Maharaja Imperial Pale Ale

84 /100

I'm of the lot that prefers to call excessively hopped IPAs - "Double IPA". "I2PA" is a trendy way to make it internetty. "DIPA" cuts to the chase. For Avery Brewing Co , with other big beers such as The Czar and The Kaiser have a theme going, only "Imperial" will do.

A seasonal release for the summer, is now available in California's better liquor shops in early April. It pours a dark amber color with a remarkable 2 finger head. It looks glorious. It smells glorious too - full on hops: a great balance of piney and sweet. The taste fills out with a nice, smooth tanginess. It has that bitter bite but is cut with the almost honey resin.

It's very easy drinking for the 9.9% ABV. I was a bit shocked to see it running that high. I've found Avery to be a decent brewery, but there wasn't any beer I'd go out of my way to get. Until now...

whoa 9.9! crazy majarajas. did i taste this with you or is this one of those time you drank something super delicious without me?

Post a Comment