« Home | City Beer Store, San Francisco » | AleSmith YuleSmith » | Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. » | Pilsner Urquell » | Thanksgiving and Beer » | AleSmith Evil Dead Red » | Harpoon Winter Warmer » | Stella Artois » | Hair of the Dog Blue Dot Imperial IPA » | Trappist Keeper » 

Thursday, December 07, 2006 

Oaked Arrogant Bastard


78 / 100
I procrastinate every year when the 3L bottles of Oaked Arrogant Bastard are released and eventually never get it. Since it was only available in this large bottle (or if very lucky, on-tap) I never got a chance to try it. So this year when I found out it was going to be available in 6 packs, I had no excuses. Maybe one excuse – the 6 packs are generally in the $13 range – kind of a lot to pay for 6 beers. I had to try it so I didn’t think twice about it.

The color is a deep amber with a hearty head lacing all over the glass. The aroma put me off at first. It has an almost helium birthday balloon smell. That mostly dissipates and becomes an oaky, caramel. The taste is the same but a heavy malt presence. Hops break through once in awhile. The texture is thick and chewy.

Admittedly, I’m not the hugest Arrogant Bastard fan in the world. I think it’s a fine beer, but certainly it’s not near the top or my favorites as it seems to be with others. The oak aging improves it, rounding out the flavors. Definitely glad I picked it up.

i had this the other day

Post a Comment