« Home | Harpoon Winter Warmer » | Stella Artois » | Hair of the Dog Blue Dot Imperial IPA » | Trappist Keeper » | Dogfish Head: The IPAs » | It's a Celebration, Bitches! » | ReaperAle Sleighor Double IPA » | Tiger Beer » | Oktoberfest at Alpine Village » | Brouwerij Liefmans Frambozenbier » 

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 

AleSmith Evil Dead Red


79 / 100

Ambers / reds are definitely not my favorite style of beer. That said, this is the way I like them - full with lots of hops.

I've only had this once before, about this time of year at the same place I had this one - Father's Office in Santa Monica. This time it reminded me a bit of last winter's Yulesmith, just tone-downed considerably.

The color was a deep dark ruby with a billowing head, lacing throughout. Cotton candy and roasted malts with a piney hops afterkick dominate the aroma. The flavor takes the best of a traditional American amber - the sweet maltiness and an IPA - the booming hops.

I liked this quite a bit. When I finished it I was ready to move on, there were plenty of other tasty beers awaiting.